Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The 11-11-11 Project Proceeds According to Plan

Well, my damn PC went down and I'm blogging in safe mode. Yeah, safe mode.
So, I'm going around my library selecting--on the fly--the tentative line-up for the 11-11-11 Project. It is composed of books I already own but have not yet read.
1.  Bleak House by Charles Dickens; Classic Literature.
2.  Scientist, Soldier, Statesman, Spy: Count Rumford by G.I. Brown, Historical Biography.
3.  Arthur & George by Julian Barnes, Historical Fiction.
4.  Annals of the Former World by John McPhee, Geology/Travel.
5.  A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine, Thriller.
6.  The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil, Science.
7.  The Annotated Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton ed. by Martin Gardner, Short Stories.
8.  The Solitary Vice: Against Reading by Mikita Brottman, Current Events.
9.  The Echo Maker by Richard Powers, Contemporary Fiction.
10. Money Mischief by Milton Friedman, Economics.
11. War For the Oaks by Emma Bull, Urban Fantasy.

As we see, I alternated between fiction and non-fiction. Also, only two of these--the Dickens and the McPhee--could be considered doorstoppers, the rest are of moderate length at most. I didn't do this on purpose; I just picked titles that looked interesting. This way I have more time to read all the other books in my collection that I haven't read yet. You don't think I'm only going to read these eleven books do you?
And I suppose you could argue that Dark-Adapted Eye and the Father Brown stories are both mysteries, but from reading Eye's blurb, it really seems that it's more of a suspense story than a whodunit. Besides, finding fiction of different genres was a lot harder than I thought, so I figured that a short story collection from a century ago would differ sufficiently from a psychological thriller from the eighties.
I, of course, reserve the right to alter the line-up if I feel like it.
Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment